PASS THE TORCH (old site -- visit new site at 2passthetorch.com)

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Blue Streak, Mom and Me

Jennifer wrote about her car, named "Vegas", as a part of the AW Chain, and it made me chuckle because my mom names all her cars too. Let me see, growing up there were: Peppermint, Calais, Bearcat, Trusty...but the most memorable for me was Blue Streak, a 1973 Midas motor home that transported us to 47 states in a 10-year timespan. The photo has Blue Streak in the background at Bear Tooth Pass. I'm on the right.

In my late teens, Blue Streak pulled a horse trailer. I competed in shows throughout Wisconsin, and as far away as Ohio, Texas -- even Walla Walla, Washington. I’ll never forget the summer after I got my license. We crossed the Continental Divide with me in the driver’s seat. I wondered how many 16-year-olds had ever done that. She was a single mom, so my ability to drive was a great help on long journeys.

Now, over thirty years after my first trip with my mom, I’ve started traveling with my own daughter, while Dad and Curt go fishing in Canada. She picks the destination -- last year we traveled to the Chesapeake Bay, for one amazing week. She was only eight -- about the same age as I am in the photo -- so she clearly wasn't driving, but she was my map-reader. Our rented Mustang showed its prowess in the numerous U-turns we made for mistakes in navigation.

This summer we're planning another trip. She's chosen Mackinac Island, which doesn't allow cars at all. But she says she doesn't really care where we go.

“I just want us to go together,” she says.

I guess where you’re going doesn’t matter as much as who’s with you on the journey.

Alibris Secondhand Books Standard

For a funny story, check out this article from Australian writer, Susan Stephenson: "The Driving Lesson."

Peregrinas is the next link in the AW Chain. I encourage you to click through to all the posts and leave comments. We love them!

10 Comments:

  • Hi Kelly, just a note to say hi. :) And the mountains in that photo look glorious!

    By Blogger jennifersando, At 11:38 PM  

  • Hello Jennifer! Yes, the Rockies are pretty amazing. Thanks for stopping!

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 9:07 AM  

  • Out of the mouths of babes. That one little comment "I just want to go together" says sooooo much in so little words. It is amazing to think such gems come from children sometimes. Now if we adults could just learn from them, life would be good. Then again i guess the trade off would be in order to 'get that' as adults we would have to also go back to the not so good things children say and repeat as well. "Mommy your boss isn't as mean as you said she was!" Great post Kelly, and nice blog as well. I look forward to reading more of it.

    By Blogger briliantdonkey, At 2:08 PM  

  • Brilliantdonkey - you are so right. With kids you get the whole package, don't you? We just need to relish the pearls when we can...

    Thank you for reading. Please come back!

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 4:34 PM  

  • Where I grew up, Alberta, I got my learner's permit at 14. From pretty much that day onward, I always drove on the highway and in the big city - my mother was too chicken! Well, really, that was a good thing because she was a terrible driver...

    When I was sixteen, I drove probably half the distance between Edmonton and Winnipeg, which is a 24 or 28 hour drive. No continental divide, but still, quite the distance.

    I still love road trips. Unfortunately, in Sri Lanka, the roads are so terrible, so narrow, and so packed that you're lucky if you ever reach the top legal speed limit of 70 km/h. That about, oh, 42 mph for you Yanks. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:50 PM  

  • Wow Laurie! Now that's empowered. Sounds like your mom really needed you. Really neat story -- thank you for sharing it!!

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 7:04 AM  

  • Interesting story about Blue Streak. Sounds like a very fun trip! Sometimes I've thought about getting a motorhome, but I've never had enough money for anything but some of the most disreputable secondhand examples.

    By Blogger Mad Scientist Matt, At 9:23 AM  

  • Hi Matt!

    That would have been an excellent description of Blue Streak;)

    I hope one day you have the opportunity. I so appreciate your visiting!

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 9:27 AM  

  • Kelly, I mostly called my cars swear words. Unfortunately, that never seemed to empower them. If only...with the price of gas nowadays, some other mode of propulsion would sure be handy!

    By Blogger BookChook, At 8:26 AM  

  • Susan, you are too funny! I've been known to do that as well...

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home