PASS THE TORCH (old site -- visit new site at 2passthetorch.com)

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Wordpress and Typepad and Blogger, oh my!

Problogger is sponsoring a group writing project to discuss what bloggers would do differently if they could start all over.

I've discovered many things I wish I knew six months ago, and I'd love to hear your opinions as well. I'm in the process of a redesign on Pass the Torch, so I'm looking for advice on this site, as well as your thoughts about "If I had to start my blog over again."

For my part, I wish a crystal ball had told me:
1. Hello! This is going to be a popular blog, so choose a decent title to begin with.
2. There are other options than blogger.
3. Put the products you're promoting in a different section than everything else.

Other advice:
Lil Duck Duck is glad she used wordpress and got her own domain name, but wishes she'd started categories right away. She also told me about oh-so-awesome Flooble, which creates the code for the collapsable blogroll links. Hurray!!! and thanks!
Kailani wishes she'd known there were other options than blogger when she'd started.
Stefan likes WordPress. Annalaura uses Blogger and WordPress. Jon Symon sells instructional videos to get bloggers started.

If you join the group writing project and I'll link to your post.

UPDATE - Thanks for listing me as one of your top entries:
52 Reviews, Mindglob, Kristonia Ink, Peter T. Davis, Blogging Blog

8 Comments:

  • Ah, I actually combined my business and my blog and everything is better for it, LOL. I love having my own domain and use wordpress, I've never tried blogger but I like having my own site where I can do just what I want. Anyway, I also participated, here's mine if you want to look - http://lilduckduck.com/archive/187

    By Blogger Mama Duck, At 11:38 AM  

  • Thanks for sharing your thoughts - I really like your site and would love to use some of your ideas on my redesign.

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 11:45 AM  

  • Pleas elt me know when your post is up - I'd love to read it.

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 8:26 AM  

  • I discovered your blog by reviewing the group writing posts at Darren's site and I must say that I really like your blog. I must admit that I'm a WordPress assertor as well, but it's everyone's decision what's best for him or her.
    I also took part at Problogger's group writing project. If you like you can find my post here.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 8:21 AM  

  • I use both blogger and wordpress. My blogger account is for my business newsletters and general news and my wordpress is for motivational stories and quotes.

    By Blogger Unknown, At 8:27 AM  

  • Hi Kelly,

    I started out on Blogger and realized it was very limiting. Recently I created a series of instructional videos that walk people through the entire process of getting a "Real" blog from keyword research, domain name purchase, hosting and then Wordpress install and configuration.

    I figured that most are intimidated by the process of setting up a blog from scratch, but it really isn't a big deal and doens't cost as much as most people think either.

    Jon

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:43 PM  

  • Hi Kelly,
    The more I am reading posts to Darrens writing project at problogger, I'm seeing a pattern...wordpress, wordpress, wordpress..it's something worth relooking at.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:25 AM  

  • Wordpress is awesome and I would suggest to get your own domain if you are trying to build traffic.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home