PASS THE TORCH (old site -- visit new site at 2passthetorch.com)

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Ahhhh, Mother's Day

Most mothers have a story or two about the gifts they receive on this most appreciated holiday. It's a day to celebrate the unbridled creativity in young people -- oh, and the women that birthed them.

Often teachers, fathers and grandparents help kids to create lovely gifts. But I've found that the most heartwarming surprises are those that are accomplished with no adult intervention whatsoever.

My kids are 7- and 9-years-old, so they've had years to refine their creative skills. This Mother's Day, my favorite surprises were:

1. A dried paper-pulp heart made from construction paper and water. They'd learned about this process in school, but he did it at home. (So that's why he asked me for the blender and I said, "no"... and why I had to unclog the sink last week!)

2. A cut-off water bottle filled with 10 days worth of loving rolled messages, accompanied by a poem. She modified this from something she looked up in a craft book.

3. A secretive dual effort I interrupted last Friday. They whisked me away from the kitchen because they didn't want me to discover they were making me puppy chow (Chex mix, peanut butter, chocolate and powdered sugar.) The best part of this gift was the fact they kept from eating the scrumptious gift for two days before giving it to me. (A serious feat for my sweets-addict boy.)

What was the most creative Mother's Day gift you received? Which surprised you the most? Please comment!

8 Comments:

  • I received various gifts on Mother's Day from my children. One of them, I think, is the most creative that I treasure the most, is my daughter's drawing - The Best Mum in The World. I've uploaded it on my blog "About Me" page.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7:38 PM  

  • I looked it up Christine - that is so great!! Thanks for sharing your comment.

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 7:43 PM  

  • The one that I remember most clearly was a letter in green felt-tip from my son, promising never again to write on the furniture in green felt-tip.

    By Blogger BookChook, At 8:16 PM  

  • Stop it! Your kids are ridiculously adorable!

    (And Susan: HA!)

    I'm not a mom, so I can't add to the discussion. I just enjoyed reading about it. :)

    By Blogger Jenna, At 10:08 PM  

  • I'm not technically a mom ... but I am a godmother and an aunt so I usually get sweet remembrances on Mother's Day. My favorite is when my godson and his dad (my brother) send me a handwritten card noting a donation to a women's-centered charity. It has changed over the years, but I always appreciate that the good men in my life extend their good will to other women who may not be as fortunate as I.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10:42 AM  

  • These are great responses. Thanks to all of you for commenting!

    And Jenna - we think they're cute too;)

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 11:43 AM  

  • The BEST gift I ever received from my 5 kids was a CLEAN house!! They actually all got together and cleaned the house....well....then proceeded to mess it up again!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7:55 PM  

  • That would be a great gift! I'm so jealous!

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home