PASS THE TORCH (old site -- visit new site at 2passthetorch.com)

Saturday, May 27, 2006

YOU'RE IT!!! Save Absolute Write with Random Act of Kindness

Today I'm wearing my "Writer's" hat.

Absolute Write, an online forum I've come to call digital home has been figuratively hijacked, sending thousands of writers into a tailspin. Jenna Glatzer, the owner of the board, is a lovely person who defends the interests of fellow writers and works hard to protect them from scammers. For more information about this mess, follow any of the links or tags below and read what people are writing about Absolute Write.

Before the site disappeared, bloggers on the forum were talking about a way to initiate a blogging effort that would connect people across the globe. Well, that has definitely happened in the form of this really nasty situation, but we had some very inspirational efforts suggested as well. The suggestion I made was for everyone to do some random act of kindness, write about it on their blog and then tag someone else. I got the idea from Jenna's blog entry from a couple weeks ago. I know that Jenna liked this idea. What if we tried to corral all our energy and direct it in a positive way?

I'll start. Today I mowed my neighbor's lawn, without saying a word. I knew it would be really hot and they had company coming for the weekend. I have a riding lawn mower and he doesn't. It wasn't a big deal for me, but it WAS a big deal for him.

Secondly, I bought Jenna's book The Street Smart Writer, because Jenna helps writers. Ordering from the link here also gives a kickback to Absolute Write.

So now I'm going to scurry around to all my blogging friends and tell you that you're it. You are all supporting Jenna and Absolute Write already. But this would be another way to support her -- and the rest of the world as well.

So here's your assignment:

Do something GOOD;
Tell everyone about it in your blog;
Tag someone else.

Okay?? YOU'RE IT!!!



Dawno's Blog NVNC ID VIDES, NVNC NE VIDES: Dawno's Top Ten "20 Worst Agents List" List Midnight Writings: Special Olympics Fireflies in the Cloud: The Barbara Bauer Googlebomb: success (well, almost)

15 Comments:

  • Isn't it wonderful that even in the midst of a crisis, we can do something beautiful for others?

    I loved what you did!

    Yesterday I donated an executive desk (originally we were going to sell it) to a non-profit organization. Today, I will make sure and brighten the day by doing some random act of kindness to someone.

    By Blogger Esther Avila, At 1:24 PM  

  • Good for you September! Be sure to write about your random act in your blog and tag another blogger!!

    I'll link to your post when you write about it.

    Thanks for commenting, September!

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 1:28 PM  

  • Lovely idea, Kelly! I'll see what I can do this weekend :-)

    By Blogger ohdawno, At 4:39 PM  

  • Thanks Dawno! Can't wait to read it!

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 5:36 PM  

  • (((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))

    Yup. Ya made me cry again.

    Thanks, sweetie.

    By Blogger Jenna, At 6:01 PM  

  • me too...

    (sniff)

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 6:33 PM  

  • I sewed a handbag for my mother in law for a trip she was going on.

    Thanks for the idea!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10:52 PM  

  • Good for you, Laurie!! Thanks for playing tag with us;) And keep it going!

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 11:00 PM  

  • My RAoK was a tea party over the phone. I mailed a tea party invitation (made by me and my little girl) to my little one's grandmother in Washington. She can't come out to visit in the near future, so I've been trying to bridge the gap by doing things together like this over the phone and taking pictures of the experiences for a scrapbook. :) She called, we all shared in the tea party and shed some happy tears together. :) It felt like the five of us were all in the same room.

    [jennhollowell @ AW]

    By Blogger Unknown, At 8:42 AM  

  • Fantastic! What a kind way to bridget he gap! Remember to keep it going by tagging someone else!

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 8:45 AM  

  • Well, I've got the ball rolling over at my blog too and am going to tag a few more people after I post this :)
    http://farook.org/?p=316

    By Blogger Fahim, At 10:16 PM  

  • It's winter here in Australia so my tag-running is a little slower than usual. But I'm playing anyway. My random act of kindness was for my mum - she loves pecans but isn't strong enough to crack them anymore. I've just spent a couple hours wrestling those darned pecans and will take them over when I visit her this afternoon.

    By Blogger BookChook, At 10:31 PM  

  • Fahim and Susan - this is so great!!! Thanks for playing!

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 7:23 AM  

  • I absolutely love what you are doing! Random acts of kindness are indeed contagious and as you can guess I sure have the bug.

    Kindness is something so simple, so easy, so rewarding....and so fun!

    Huge Kudos to you and thank you for inviting me into your game of RAOK tag!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 6:47 AM  

  • Welcome daretobe!

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home