PASS THE TORCH (old site -- visit new site at 2passthetorch.com)

Monday, June 12, 2006

Youth Soccer -- Leaders in Training

I was reading Jennifer Sando's blog today as a part of the Absolute Write blog chain. She's a writer based in Adelaide, Australia and was discussing the World Cup soccer fever.

I don't have a working television and I show minimal interest in sports. So the only other reason I even knew the World Cup was happening is because Google changed it's "o" into a soccer ball for a bit.

But I'm learning -- my seven-year-old son is a full-fledged soccer nut.

Just last weekend he played his final game and was thrilled to earn another trophy for his wall of fame. During this marathon day of games, it impressed me the way youth were given leadership roles in the organization. Most teams played two games sometime during the tournament, so the rest of the day, older players acted as referees and line judges for the younger teams. They were mature, took their jobs quite seriously, and even the 10-year-old refs had a better handle on the rules than I did.

Beyond the obvious service they provided throughout the tournament, these youth were role models for the younger players they led. And they reinforced to adults the valuable resource that young people can be.

Three cheers for youth soccer -- whose goals aren't just between the posts.

By the way, here's the AW Chain of bloggers for this round. You may want to check out each of their posts - it's fun!

The whole chain is here:
Musings of a Writing Wife Loving Twilight Forbidden Snowflake At Home, Writing Fireflies in the Cloud The Road Less Traveled Mad Scientist Matt's Lair Jennifer Sando Youth - Our Greatest Natural Resource Peregrinas Organized Chaos Flying Shoes Kappa no He Southern Expressions Everything Indian The Secret Government Eggo Project


Laurie, you're next!

10 Comments:

  • It seems your local youth soccer is quite a bit more organized than it is here. Last few seasons we were lucky if we knew what side of town the game was going to be on within an hour of the match.

    By Blogger Matt, At 10:37 PM  

  • That sounds so encouraging. It's wonderful to learn about such inspiring youth communities. More power to them!

    By Blogger Bhaswati, At 12:51 AM  

  • Thanks for stopping by, Matt and bhaswati! It is very well organized here (not that I have anything to do with that!) It really is a great group of people - youth and adults.

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 8:16 AM  

  • I don't understand soccer. At all. Sorry! But still, lovely post. :) I like the themes of your posts - you're so very constructive and affirming.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 8:20 AM  

  • It's great to see the kids get actively involved in the other side of the game. Not only does it give them a better understanding of the game, but it also gives them an appreciation for what a tough job it is to ref a game.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10:02 AM  

  • Thank you Laurie and d.t. kelly for your comments! I'm glad you like the theme of my blog. There really is a lot of good stuff going on with youth.

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 11:36 AM  

  • My girls never got involved in soccer (softball kids) but my nephews did - ahhh, the sweet excitement of cheering for the little ones. They start so young.

    By Blogger Esther Avila, At 12:31 PM  

  • Thanks for commenting September. I agree! I have no love for sports, but can't help my enthusiasm when my kid's got the ball;)

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 4:48 PM  

  • Interesting - I was involved in one of those youth soccer things myself when I was little.

    By Blogger Mad Scientist Matt, At 12:52 PM  

  • Hello Mad Scientist- thanks for reading!

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home