PASS THE TORCH (old site -- visit new site at 2passthetorch.com)

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Recipe for the Ideal Parent

Jennifer tagged me after writing a recipe for “the ideal bloke.” It’s quite good! Now it’s my turn to do so, but I’ve modified the game a bit.

If I had the task of creating the ideal parent, these would be eight essential ingredients:

1. The patience of a calico waiting for a chipmunk to emerge from its hole.
2. Endless, undivided attention, even while the lasagna burns and the phone rings.
3. The fortitude to let the phone ring.
4. The desire to race your kids off the end of the dock, so you’re not the rotten egg.
5. Cool-headed diplomacy and consistency in the roles of referee, coach and cheerleader.
6. The willingness to teach knitting to a nine-year-old and learn fishing from a seven-year-old.
7. The stamina to listen to ridiculous stories one-after-the-other, until you think your head might explode.
8. A forgiving nature that pardons yourself for only accomplishing one of the previous qualities per day.

Now I’m tagging Lil Duck Duck, My Life in the Kidzoo, Midnight Writings, and Peregrinas. They may write about the ideal bloke, or the ideal parent. Go find out!


10 Comments:

  • What a cute idea!! I'll work up something tomorrow, crazy house and teething baby here.

    By Blogger Mama Duck, At 5:21 PM  

  • I don't miss those days;) Hope you all survive the teething!

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 6:18 PM  

  • What awesome qualities for a parent to have. :)

    I just got in from Sacramento and couldn't resist popping in online, so maybe around midnight (my usual writing time) I'll be settled down to come back in and complete the task at hand.

    :) Thanks for the tag.

    By Blogger Esther Avila, At 7:57 PM  

  • For me it's like goal-setting;) Maybe by the end of the summer...

    I look forward to reading your post.

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 8:11 PM  

  • Kelly, luuuuuurve your modification! Very cute and very amusing. Hope Hubby and I can exercise some of those when there's a kid on the scene. :)

    By Blogger jennifersando, At 8:30 PM  

  • I'm so glad you liked it Jen.nifer! Thank you for tagging me!

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 8:51 PM  

  • Thanks for tagging me. I will get mine up on my blog tomorrow. That's an awesome idea for a meme!

    By Blogger Undercover Angel , At 11:43 PM  

  • I look forward to reading it!

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 8:13 AM  

  • *wipes sweat from brow* Whew! I'm so glad I have a choice between ideal bloke or ideal parent. I'll chose Ideal Bloke for five thousand, Alex... :D

    Give me a day or two to post it. I'll let you know when I'm done. :)

    Um, there shouldn't be any surprise to you that Fahim fits my description, right?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:28 AM  

  • Not a surprise at all! I counted on you describing Fahim;)

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home