PASS THE TORCH (old site -- visit new site at 2passthetorch.com)

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Thirteen Things about Berry Picking


The berries are ripe in Wisconsin!! I've been taking my kids berry picking for the past several July's, so I have a unique take on the activity.

Thirteen things about berry picking with kids:
1. The sweetest berries are really red.
2. Or really black.
3. Don't bother with a bucket.
4. The prepared picker douses the kids with mosquito repellent first.
5. The unprepared picker leashes her child so that the mosquitoes don't fly away with him.
6. If you're out for a walk and see the bike, but no kid, check in the bushes.
7. Watch for weeds that itch, sting or swallow your children.
8. Wash well after picking, just in case you didn't notice the three-leafed demon that brushed against all your legs.
9. Long sleeves and long pants are helpful, though they might be unrealistic on 90-degree days.
10. Berries are only ripe on 90-degree days.
11. In the off chance that you return home with some of the sweet morsels, they can be added to almost anything to make it more palatable.
12. Raspberry artichokes may or may not be palatable.
13. When you think they're all picked out -- but your kids are still shoving them in by the handful -- squat. You'll get a whole new perspective.

The best berries are UNDER the leaves.

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
(leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)
TNChick Pink Chihuahua Princess Incoherent-ish Lil Duck Duck
Exceedingly Mundane

10 Comments:

  • We've been blackberry pickin' too - I posted about it yesterday. Our sweetest is black - the red ones are bitter. I picked in shorts, tanktop and flip flops! Thankfully came out scratch free and no misquitos but tons of June Bugs. I agree "The best berries are UNDER the leaves" or up high out of reach =)

    By Blogger -tnchick-, At 12:07 PM  

  • Weeds that can swallow kiddos sound pretty fierce. hehe This makes me want to go berry picking really badly.

    Mine are up too. Happy Thursday!

    By Blogger Pink Chihuahua Princess, At 12:44 PM  

  • Berries rock!! Raspberries are my favourite food of all time. Can never get enough! :)

    Happy TT!
    Mine are up.

    By Blogger Trish Ess, At 12:54 PM  

  • Oooo, I miss that picking, we had tons of bushes out back up north. Don't miss the prickers and the mosquitos tho.

    By Blogger Mama Duck, At 1:21 PM  

  • That sounds like fun, I've only been a few times in my life. What great memories you are making with your kids :)

    Great T13, mine is up also... have a great day!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7:24 PM  

  • When I was a kid we lived in Alaska and would go berry (usually blue) picking. Those were some great times. I remember my first time eating store bought berries...I was like, there is NO FLAVOR!!

    By Blogger Kappa no He, At 7:38 PM  

  • Thanks to all you 13-ers! Berry-picking seems to be a hit, in general;)

    Kappa no he - thanks for stopping! You are so right about freshly picked flavor - nothing like it!

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 9:00 PM  

  • H U Huckle
    B U Buckle
    H U Huckle Hie

    H U Huckle
    B U Buckle
    Huckleberry Pie

    I was so darn proud I even put a picture of it in my blog

    By Blogger Pamela, At 6:39 PM  

  • I wish we had berries to pick here in Montana- I miss it. When we lived in Oregon, they grew wild everywhere as the State "Weed". Waaaaaaaa!

    By Blogger Kelli, At 6:50 PM  

  • Yes, berry-picking is pretty great. But it's only for the hardiest of mosquito-swatters;)

    and Pamela - I saw your pie and it looked scrumptious!

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home