PASS THE TORCH (old site -- visit new site at 2passthetorch.com)

Monday, August 21, 2006

Fill 'er up - with school supplies

In some communities in our area, the poverty rate approaches 50%, and even school-supplies shopping can be a financial challenge for some families. So for the last couple of years, when we fill our school lists, we also buy in bulk any items that are a fantastic deal. Then we donate those to the school for kids that need them. It reframes our typical back-to-school shopping madness mindset.

This year, we probably didn't spend more than $20, but look at what we gave? Believe it or not, the backpacks, and ten packages of pens and pencils cost a total of $2 from Menards (after rebates.) We filled up the rest of the space with standard list items like notebooks, crayons, markers, glue sticks, pencils and pens - whichever products were the best deal when we shopped.



So if you've yet to shop for your kids' school supplies, consider filling up your cart with the sale items, or those with rebates. Someone's bound to need them.

Knitting Maniac had a funny post last week about the joys of school supplies shopping, and I can relate to everything she said! Be sure to go check it out. It also made me think about an activity we've done for a couple years now, that reframes my typical back-to-school shopping mindset.

For a bazillion other excellent ideas, check out Shannon's WFMW Hub.

8 Comments:

  • What a great idea and what a wonderful thing for you and your kids to do for those less fortunate!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and visiting me the other day!

    By Blogger Kristen, At 6:35 PM  

  • We lucked up and found "crayola" 24 pack crayons at Dollar General, they were 4 packs for $1.00!! I was like HOLY COW! We bought 20 packs and took them to the headstart class with the girls. I like crayola crayons because they dont break as easy as generic ones, and they just color better, so when I found them this cheap I couldnt pass it up! I mean, c'mon, what's $5.00 to make a bunch of little kids (not to mention the teachers) happy!

    By Blogger Samantha, At 4:11 AM  

  • You have raised a really good point for me ... and I thank you for that. I need to get my head out of what I think that my children don't need, and think about the things that other children DO need.

    We had a nice project at church where we have pretty much adopted the kids at an elementary school, and are offering supplies to them. I need to get with the program!

    By Blogger Knitting Maniac, At 10:37 AM  

  • Thanks Kristen!!

    Waya,Samantha and Knitting Maniac - it sounds like you've all found great ways to help out in your communities too. Very cool! I'd love to hear more about this.

    And knitting - I feel the same way about school supplies shopping! It's madness, isn't it! Your post just made me think about our shopping project.

    Thanks ALL for commenting!

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 12:35 PM  

  • That is an awesum idea! I was planning on going to sandylion stickers and making a little bag of stickers to give to my dd's teacher (since I know from my friends that teachers often spend their own money on such things) but this is ever better!

    TFS!

    By Blogger Julie Julie Bo Boolie, At 7:38 AM  

  • I wish we had a Menards here... Great ideas!!!

    By Blogger Lori, At 9:04 AM  

  • A most excellent WFMW! Not only did you help other kids, you were blessed in turn with some really great deals!

    By Blogger Carol, At 10:08 AM  

  • Great idea! Good way to get your kids involved in the giving as well.

    Our church adopted a local elementary school and this is one of the ways that we help.

    By Blogger PastormacsAnn, At 4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home