PASS THE TORCH (old site -- visit new site at 2passthetorch.com)

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Hold the Mustard, Please

I submitted this re-post from earlier this spring to the Carnival of Travel this weekend. A version of this story was printed in Budget Travel.

And join me in Kailani's Carnival of Family Life. All the submission details can be found in her sidebar. Doncha wanna know what I submitted? You'll have to go over there and see on Monday! By the way, her list of "How you know blogging's taking over your life" is a stitch.

I'll be away for a couple of days, but back Monday evening to begin accepting submissions for Pass the Torch Tuesday!
I'm sure we'll have new additions THROUGHOUT THE DAY ON TUESDAY, so check back often. See you then!

Hold the Mustard, Please


Last summer, my then eight-year-old daughter came with me to Maryland on a week-long journey along the Chesapeake Bay. Though she’s not a fan of crustaceans, she accompanied me to sample blue crab at a restaurant in St. Michaels.

Expecting a mountain of claws with drawn butter, we were shocked when our waitress arrived with whole crabs -- legs, shells, guts, eyes and all. Deena wielded her mallet as she wasn’t convinced her crab was even dead. In fact, it resembled Sebastian on The Little Mermaid.

Lucky for us, our waitress expertly demonstrated proper crab picking, thankfully removing the entrails (locals call it the “mustard”), piling the smelly mess on the disposable tablecloth and revealing the tasty crabmeat inside.

Eyes pinched shut, Deena tried a morsel, then gently asked me, “Do you think we could go out for chicken tonight?”

Here's the article as it appeared in Budget Travel:

9 Comments:

  • That look on her face! Oh my gosh. That captures it!

    By Blogger Knitting Maniac, At 1:51 PM  

  • Yeah, she still looks that way everytime I mention "shellfish";)

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 4:04 PM  

  • I don't blame her. I can't eat anything that looks like it could walk off my plate!

    Thanks again for the carnival shout! I'm currently working on my Pass the Torch submission! I'm definitely doing it this week!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 4:08 PM  

  • I'm so glad to hear it Kailani! I look forward to reading your's!

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 7:52 PM  

  • Isn't that neat!

    Yes, your header totally fits todays theme =)

    By Blogger -tnchick-, At 11:23 PM  

  • Okay this will probably sound childish but EWWW yuckkkkk I hate eating anything that once lived in water.

    By Blogger Samantha, At 1:52 AM  

  • Hahahaha to Samantha. My daughter will be happy she's not alone in that thinking;)

    tntchick - thanks for checking it out! I promise to participate in the Saturday photo hunt in the future!

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 8:31 AM  

  • arrgggg... I can't even eat my mashed potatoes If the gravy makes a FACE on them.

    I'm turning into a vegetarian slowly.

    As for that picture.
    P R I C E L E S S ! ! ! ! !

    By Blogger Pamela, At 11:50 AM  

  • That look on her face is priceless! I can't believe she was brave enough to try it after seeing it whole and then having the waitress pile the "mustard" onto the tablecloth. Ewwwwww.

    By Blogger Tonya, At 4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home