PASS THE TORCH (old site -- visit new site at 2passthetorch.com)

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Pass the Torch Tuesday – Inaugural Edition!

Gasket Rescuers

I’m often accused, by giggling children, of needing a memory upgrade. And I’m reluctantly sure that they’re right.

I think it was 500 degrees in the car after we unloaded all ten boxes of our donated items at the resale shop. “Hurry, hurry! Let’s get the air on!” I said.

I reached for the ignition and my heart skipped a beat.

No keys.

I jumped up, searched the seat and dug through my purse, all the while realizing that my human gasket was about to blow.

“I just drove here five minutes ago!” my mind raced. Seriously, how can a person lose her keys like that?

Then both my kids, ages seven and nine, got out of the car and started searching with me. They looked in the front seat, back seat, and on the floor. They crouched down to look on the pavement. Curt even popped the trunk. Then Deena ran into the shop to dig through the boxes we’d just unloaded.

I never asked them to help. They just did. They could have continued with their silly sibling conversation, or whined about how hot it was. But instead, they recognized what I needed – what we needed -- and they cared enough to step up to the plate.

I know it seems simple, but most remarkable things are.

It turns out that neither of them found the keys – I did. In the most ridiculously obvious and stupidly overlooked spot (the camera bag on the seat NEXT to my purse.) But they made my day -- and saved my gasket from certain demolition.

Car started, air conditioner blasting, I turned to them and said, “Thank you.”

“No problem, Mom.”

How have you caught a kid being good? I’d love to hear from you!

(Thanks to Lyn at Bloggin' Outloud for the shoutout!)

Join us each week for Pass the Torch Tuesday! One participant each week will receive the Pass the Torch Award button (see sidebar.) Link to your post or leave a comment! Click here for guidelines.

Technorati Tags:



16 Comments:

  • Okay, this is going to sound super stupid, but I just posted here, and you commented on it...and now I cant find it! Do you have any way of emailing me a copy of the post, assuming you can still see it? I'm sorry LOL

    By Blogger Samantha, At 1:00 AM  

  • Hahahaha! No problem - your comment is on the next post down the line. Just goto the main page - http://www.kellycurtis.blogspot.com and it will be the second post from the top (the guidelines post)

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 1:05 AM  

  • *slapping my head* okay, I'm a goober! Thanks!

    By Blogger Samantha, At 1:09 AM  

  • Thanks for participating Samantha! Your Pass the Torch Tuesday story is excellent!

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 8:31 AM  

  • Didn't post a story, but did promote the idea at Bloggin' Outloud. Chat with you later, lgp

    By Blogger Lyn, At 8:45 AM  

  • LOL well, if my little guy wasn't bent on destroying my house..... it's a great idea, I'll try to participate in the future ;).

    By Blogger Mama Duck, At 10:36 AM  

  • Hehehe. They don't actually grow out of that;)

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 10:55 AM  

  • I think this is cool. I wrote about kids that volunteer at the animal shelter.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:04 PM  

  • Great post Olivia! Thanks for participating!

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 12:43 PM  

  • Came to yours from Bloggin' Outloud since I thougt this Pass the Touch thing was a great idea.
    My post from Sunday about 'Just farming around' might be a bit out of range, but the kids where great as we all felt like children playing:-)

    By Blogger RennyBA, At 2:20 PM  

  • Thanks for joining us Rennyba!

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 2:22 PM  

  • Thanks WAYA! I appreciate you stopping in to Pass the Torch Tuesday!

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 3:31 PM  

  • Maybe I posted on Wednedsday instead of Tuesday because of the International Dateline, Kelly? I'd certainly rather put it down to that than mushy intellect!
    Now I'm off to visit some blogs...

    By Blogger BookChook, At 3:29 AM  

  • Susan - I have so many Mr. Linky's on this blog, it's understandable why you ended up on the wrong one. Hope you'll join us next Tuesday also!

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 1:47 PM  

  • You have got some great kids there! You're definitely raising them right!

    Here via the Carnival of Family Life but I would have visited anyway!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 3:25 PM  

  • Great story! I love it when you can catch them doing something right :D

    My daughters are always doing nice things for each other--and occasionally for me--and I try to remember my own manners and tell them thanks for being such great kids!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home