PASS THE TORCH (old site -- visit new site at 2passthetorch.com)

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Pass the Torch Tuesday - It's the PROCESS, not the product



Banner by Bluebird Blogs If you need the code for your post, let me know.

Welcome to Pass the Torch Tuesday, where bloggers share simple and stupendous times kids make us proud. Guidelines are simple:

1. Write about catching a kid being good.
2. Link to here from your post.
3. Permalink your post from here.

Join us with a story or comment. Complete guidelines and former PTT links are HERE.

It's the Process, not the Product


What's wrong with this picture?

My husband (who I know secretly reads this blog, since he now offers content ideas) had the foresight to suggest I take this shot before our family massacred the flattened, gooey, yet mysteriously tasty treats. Anyway, what does this have to do with PTT Tuesday, you may ask?

My kids love to bake chocolate chip cookies, and have done so often enough that I can now leave them to their own devices. This sometimes results in sibling squabbling about "who gets to do what", but I tell them to work it out, or put the batter away.

This time, they found a solution, much to my relief, but as you can see, somethin's missin' in this melty batch of mush.

In this household, the process is far more important than the product.

The bakers aren't sure which ingredient they forgot. Please write your guesses in comments.

One participant will receive the Pass the Torch Award button and this "ASSETS" magnet.

I'm a huge promotor of the research-based Developmental Asset Approach, which helps adults look at what's right with kids, rather than what's wrong with them.

If you give a shoutout to Pass the Torch Tuesday (tell your readers about it), please let me know - I'll link to you here. Thanks!




Technorati Tags:


17 Comments:

  • butter?

    this is too funny, because my PTT is going to be about my child making mashed potatoes for dinner tonight.

    By Blogger Knitting Maniac, At 7:39 PM  

  • Possibly too much butter?? Thanks for your guess! We'll get to the bottom of it, I'm sure;)

    I can't wait to read your post!

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 7:48 PM  

  • Thanks for stopping by today... Caught my kid "doing good" -- and just wanted to share:)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:59 PM  

  • Carolyn - I read your post and it is just beautiful. This is what Pass the Torch is all about...

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 12:07 AM  

  • Hmm...flour? I'm right with you though, process is more important than product!

    By Blogger Samantha, At 12:25 AM  

  • Maybe so!

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 9:09 AM  

  • Maybe the baking powder is missing (or replaced with baking soda!) In any case, the cooperative nature of baking together, regardless of the inedible result, is what is more important.

    By Blogger MamaKaren, At 12:10 PM  

  • Tee hee that is too funny! I love the idea of Pass the Torch Tuesday. What is the idea behind it? Maybe the eggs were extra large? or there was too much butter?

    By Blogger Twisted Cinderella, At 12:40 PM  

  • Baking powder?

    By Blogger Lindsey, At 12:56 PM  

  • You know, they did think it had something to do with the eggs, but I wonder if the baking power/baking soda switch isn't more likely?

    Thank you for all stopping by today. I've loved reading the posts by those of you who've participated in PTT. Keep it coming!

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 1:26 PM  

  • If you don't mind, I would love to put the Pass the Torch icon in my sidebar. Would love to keep participating with this, and loved reading the entries....but I knew it all along, that we do have some Good kids. Thank you for emphasizing that and reminding us.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 6:55 PM  

  • Carolyn, I would love for you to include the Pass the Torch Tuesday button on your blog! Please just email me at kelly034(at)centurytel(dot)net and I'll send you the code.

    Thank you for spreading the word - I really love reading these stories. I look forward to Tuesday every week!

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 7:39 PM  

  • i think baking soda too!

    By Blogger noncommon, At 9:55 PM  

  • I guessed it was a baked marshmellow at first then laughed at what it REALLY was. HA! We've all had those wonderful baking screw ups...

    By Blogger Glass Half Full, At 9:17 AM  

  • Great close up shot...wasn't sure what it was at first, but doesn't look too bad! A good excuse to make an entirely new batch!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 6:42 PM  

  • Baking soda switched with bking powder leaves a tinny taste so if they tasted right then that was not the problem. I have had this happen (I bake from memory, not written recipes and I don't measure) It is usually the result of too much liquid and not enough dry ingredients. That means it can be too much oil/shortening ,too much milk or water or not enouh flour and/or sugar. Usually what has happened is that one cup of flour or sugar hads been forgotten or an extra portion of shortening was added. It is definitely not the egg, an extra egg will just make for more cake-like cookies. Too much info I am sure but I love to bake and see it as a great science project to figure out what causes what reaction.

    By Blogger Heather, At 7:16 PM  

  • I had no idea I was so far behind in reading my favorite blogs! I started from where I left off, so I have no idea if you've already told what happened to the cookies. I'm going to guess that the baking powder was left out.

    By Blogger Tonya, At 11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home