PASS THE TORCH (old site -- visit new site at 2passthetorch.com)

Friday, August 11, 2006

Reading for Pleasure

I've read some excellent posts about books lately. First, Mary at Owlhaven challenged her readers to tell the best books for kids.

Then Shannon, at Rocks in My Dryer, did a similar thing today, but it's a meme and lots of folks joined in.

We're approaching the end of summer. I think it's only fitting that I join in too. Maybe the kids can finish just a couple more?

Reading for Pleasure is one of the 40 Developmental Assets, so getting children to read for fun is a huge step toward raising successful kids.

My nine-year-old daughter's read all of these twice, so I know they must be good;)

All-things-Potter (magic and all)

Cornelia Funke's Thief Lord, Dragon Rider and Inkheart

The Magician's Nephew (The Chronicles of Narnia)

The Secret Garden

The Babysitter's Club Series


How about you? What do your kids love to read?

If you're posting about this, let me know. I'll add you here: Kids, Cats & Books, Don't Try this At Home, Susan Stephenson, Bloggin Outloud (classics for teenagers), Wired Wisdom, Road Less Traveled, Stranded in the Mountains

9 Comments:

  • My son loves to read Captain Underpants books by Dav Pilkey. He's beginning to enjoy The Boxcar Children books too.

    By Blogger Chilihead2, At 9:59 PM  

  • Those are great series, Chilihead! And I read the Boxcar Children as a kid -- I think I read them all!!

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 10:15 PM  

  • I decided to go with the kids I taught, rather than my own son with this one, Kelly. My top three most requested books to read aloud were: The Magic Faraway Tree, The Pinballs and Bottersnikes and Gumbles.

    By Blogger BookChook, At 1:03 AM  

  • Hmm 4 kids and they all read different things. There are a few books that more than 1 of them liked though.

    Holes, The Narnia Chronicles(these they read before the movie lol),all of the harry potters and series of unfortunate events.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 1:17 AM  

  • My kids are grown up, so for the time being they study most of the time (I hope:-), but when younger I loved to read Roald Dahl's books for them (did you know he originaly comes from Norway) and the favorite was 'CHarlie and the chocholate factory'.
    Have a great end to your week:-)

    By Blogger RennyBA, At 3:30 AM  

  • My ds loves Artimus Fowl (sp?) and my oldest dd reads everything that isn't nailed down. She reads books of substance. My youngest still is just starting to love books but we go to the library every tuesday and she'll get there just like the other 2 did.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 8:53 AM  

  • Thank you all for telling me your kids' favorites! I'm giving the list to my daughter.

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 9:41 AM  

  • Oh Kelly... you reminded me.. when my eldest daughter came home from school (25 years ago) she told me they were reading a book at school and it was wonderful. I asked her what it was. Her response:
    "The Magic Cans Nephew!"
    (:

    By Blogger Pamela, At 10:49 AM  

  • I have four kids so asked them and two have responded so far so I added their answers to my blog but I also recall reading so many of the classics when they were little, plus Doctor Seuss and my sister gave me a Christian Mother Goose that I would love to replace if I can find it. I recently bought the complete Winnie the Pooh set for my new granddaughter and although she is just 4 weeks tomorrow I caught my daughter reading to her little daughter last night. It was so precious.

    By Blogger Ms. Kathleen, At 8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home