PASS THE TORCH (old site -- visit new site at 2passthetorch.com)

Monday, September 04, 2006

His sister, the cheerleader

Banner by Bluebird Blogs If you need the code for your post, let me know.

Welcome to Pass the Torch Tuesday, where bloggers share simple and stupendous times kids make us proud. (You have all the way through Tuesday to add your links.) Guidelines are simple:

1. Write about catching a kid being good.
2. Link to here from your post.
3. Permalink your post from here.

Join us with a story or comment. And visit all the participating bloggers! Complete guidelines and former PTT links are HERE.

His sister, the cheerleader

With all the sibling banter that occurs in this household, I sometimes just hold my breath, waiting for an opportunity to catch anyone -- ANYONE -- being kind or respectful. And if my lungs are strong enough, I get my chance.

Curtis has become a great skier this summer (as good as a 7-year-old can be) and even though she's two years older than Curt, Deena isn't nearly as athletic. They're both incredibly competitive, and Curt's following right in his parents' footsteps of I'mneversatisfiedwithjustgood. So after mastering the "water spray", maneuvering waves, and crossing and jumping the wake, he felt the need to remove the training bar that connects the two skis. Then, at the ripe old age of 7 years 8 months he decided he'd like to drop a ski.

I was expecting to need to give Deena some generous strokes, for her solid performance on two skis, while he's out there hot-doggin' one handed while lifting his left foot. But instead, I found myself giving her a different kind of stroke.

She was his cheerleader.

As he'd carefully work the second ski off his foot, he'd stay up for just a split second before falling (again). She'd smile and clap so he could see it, as we'd circle the boat around again. And when he tried SIX TIMES in a row to pull up on a single ski, plowing gallons of water before crashing over and over again, (and never actually making it) she'd yell to him, "You almost got up!"

There are so many ways to be proud of your kids.

One participant will receive the Pass the Torch Award button and "ASSETS" magnet shown in the sidebar. If you have a current Pass the Torch Tuesday post, please leave your permalink in the box. If you're not participating, but you tell your readers about Pass the Torch Tuesday, please let me know in comments - I'll link to you here. Thanks! Mommy Life

13 Comments:

  • I'm thinking about starting a Deena fan club. She has such a generous spirit, has played her way round Europe AND she can read maps. Good on yer, Deena!

    By Blogger BookChook, At 7:38 PM  

  • Hahaha, Susan. She would be quite honored;) But you know, then the paparazzi would come and reveal the nasty secrets -- like all those times she rolled her eyes at mom, how she's grumpy in the morning, she slammed the door on Curt, get's lazy about math, the list goes on...;))

    It's one of the reasons I like Tuesdays so much - we get to skip the bad and focus on the good!

    I'm so glad you participated again this week!

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 8:21 PM  

  • It makes all the bad stuff worth while when they do the little things :)

    By Blogger Bk30, At 10:56 PM  

  • One of our 3 girls could pop up on one ski....

    but in the end, the tube was (and still is) the choice witht them and the grandkids.

    Nice sister story, by the way!!!

    By Blogger Pamela, At 12:19 AM  

  • I hope my DD generous with her brother as yours is...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 1:10 AM  

  • Great story! Popping up on one ski is pretty hard. I can recall the gallons of water I almost drowned in before I did it, and I was 15. Good for your daughter in cheering her brother on, when it's so easy to put a sibling down!

    By Blogger Unknown, At 2:47 AM  

  • That is soooo sweet!!!

    It reminds me of watching my older brother waterski. He was great at it, and Janice and I were terrible. We were always Dave's biggest cheerleaders too. We were 4 years younger and not at all competitive. We just accepted that our big brother could do anything and we were too afraid to try.

    By Blogger Susan (5 Minutes For Mom), At 4:48 AM  

  • I agree...there are so many reasons to be proud of our children...and I am very proud of my kids!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10:07 AM  

  • Excellent story!!!!!

    I finally have mine up!

    http://unexploredterritory.blogspot.com/2006/09/more-than-just-happy-meal.html

    By Blogger Knitting Maniac, At 2:12 PM  

  • I had a story today about Karate Kid that I thought I'd use for tomorrow for Pass the Torch Tuesday. Except today is Tuesday! The holiday really threw me off. *grin* I'll just save it for next week since I'm getting ready to head for bed.

    And I love that Deena was encouraging him like she did! Don't you just love it when you prepare yourself for something bad and they surprise you with such love and kindness?!

    By Blogger Tonya, At 11:18 PM  

  • What a great sister. It's so wonderful when they encourage each other and take pride in their abilities.

    By Blogger Unknown, At 7:12 PM  

  • No matter how much siblings fight, I know deep down inside they truly love and support each other. Great post!

    Here via Carnival of Family Life but you know I would have stopped by anyway!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:49 PM  

  • It's really wonderful when children are emotionall there for each other. Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job raising them!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home