PASS THE TORCH (old site -- visit new site at 2passthetorch.com)

Monday, September 18, 2006

Tangible

Though I love the flexibility of working at home, I don't enjoy the intangible nature of what I do. As a fulltime educator outside the home, there was no question that I was busy all day doing whatever educators do. As a stay-at-home mom with two young children, there wasn't any question either.

But now, with both kids in school fulltime, I often feel as though whatever I do during the day isn't enough. It isn't that anyone else projects that onto me, but sometimes I feel it myself.

Where does the day go?

Well, I may be on the phone for two hours trying to get our airplane vouchers redeemed and tickets purchased. Maybe this is the day that I catch up on a month's worth of Quickbooks business accounting, or I spend an hour and a half moving papers from that file into those files and doing the 27 thing fling. I may package games and ship them to distributors from the warehouse office. I may query editors or plug away at my book proposal. Or I could spend an entire morning making my computer ad free, virus protected, backed up and a bazillion kilobytes deleted. And none of this addresses the general kid management and home maintenance that just "gets done."

And then there's blogging, of course.

But nothing LOOKS different.

So guess what I did Friday? I stained the deck.




Now that's tangible.

8 Comments:

  • Boy can I ever relate. I too wonder where the time goes and what the value of my day is.

    Great job on the deck.

    By Blogger BlondeBrony, At 12:07 AM  

  • Wow, Kelly. I have to say that I am mightily impressed! Good work!

    Now, I work from home, but I also stay at home with the kids. Now that I have 2 of the 3 in school during the afternoon time, I look around during the Monkey's naps and think "I should be doing SOMEthing."

    So I blog.

    Probably should be simplying my life instead of that.

    By Blogger Knitting Maniac, At 9:44 AM  

  • Hi Kelly,

    I know exactly what you mean. I voiced more of my thoughts on it a few weeks ago. The power of seeing thing you've done is truly necessary and wonderful!

    Thanks for Sharing!
    Hugs,
    Holly

    By Blogger Holly Schwendiman, At 12:29 PM  

  • Wow, tangible is right, and back breaking . :O) I feel the same, and I don't work outside the home, for now. Sometimes I feel like there is little value to what I do, until someone tells me how well behaved or polite (or funny) my kids are. A little external validation never hurts, lol!

    Thanks for commenting about my puppy at my site. :O)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 3:14 PM  

  • Wow! Great job on your deck. I know what your saying, time flies.I blink and it's dinnertime, and then I wonder where did my day go!Good for you!
    Love your posts below too.
    Now that my daughter's in JHS,her teachers expect her to be prepared.She forgot something, her math teacher had her call home to let me know,but it wasn't for me to bring it. I hope that did the trick. She's usally pretty good. It's my son I think I'll have to work on.
    Your deck looks really great! :P

    By Blogger Unknown, At 4:19 PM  

  • I wish I had that kind of time. But I guess the grass is always greener . . .

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 4:30 PM  

  • I know when I am home over the summer, I have no idea where the days go. What did I do all day? What about those long list of things I was "going" to do? Why does the Hubby say, "what did you do all day"??

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 6:55 PM  

  • I can't tell you how many days I've looked at the clock only to find five hours have gone by and nothing looks different. It's overwhelming sometimes.

    Glad you got the deck stained!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home