PASS THE TORCH (old site -- visit new site at 2passthetorch.com)

Monday, August 14, 2006

Photo Project



They're doing a fun project at 5 Minutes for Mom, asking readers to post photos of their babies and list what worked or didn't work in the photo.

Well, she isn't a baby anymore, but this shot is from last year's "girls only" trip with my daughter. She's navigating a 120-year-old skipjack, believe it or not. To read more, my Chesapeake Family feature article is HERE.

Here are a few things that I learned from this photo:

1. Get funky with angles.
2. Watch what's behind the subject. Had I been even with her, the handrail would have made a busy background.
3. Don't be afraid of the candid. Saying "cheese" isn't always the best option.
4. Be careful about the sun's location. I could have probably used a little flash on this photo, even though it's broad daylight. It may have brightened her face a bit.
5. If you think you'll ever have a shot at a cover (which I did with the photos I took that day), invest in more megapixels before going on the trip.

If you're joining in on the fun, please leave a comment here, and I'll add your link. Then visit 5 Minutes for Mom to find more picture posts.

Jodi, Mommy@Home, Lil Duck Duck, Lessons from the Scrapbook Page, Five Time Mommy, The Pink Diary, Looking for Hope, All Natural Mommies, Mommy Colored Glasses, Eagle's Wings

See you tomorrow for this week's Pass the Torch Tuesday!

P.S. I'm also using this list post to participate in Darren's Problogger group writing project. His site is an excellent resource -- I encourage you to check it out.

Technorati Tags:


16 Comments:

  • Oh how fun! She looks so intense! Thanks for droppin by!

    By Blogger Jodi, At 10:20 AM  

  • Beautiful photo and thanks for posting about it - I played too ;).

    By Blogger Mama Duck, At 11:20 AM  

  • Super photo!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:39 PM  

  • such a pretty picture and great tips too.....

    By Blogger fivetimemom, At 2:11 PM  

  • Great picture! She looks like a pro!
    -H

    By Blogger Especially Heather, At 3:46 PM  

  • I also saw the great picture over at the pink diary --
    will be checking out the other pictures later. Lunch hour is short

    .... going to check in and see what stories you guys share tomorrow , too

    My daughters gave us this fantastic party this weekend *surprise* so I am just now getting around to checking my favorite blogs. (Hopefully our party will show up on daughters blog "Dreaming what ifs.." since I didn't take any pictures!!)

    By Blogger Pamela, At 3:52 PM  

  • That's a great shot. I like the angle that it was taken from.

    Here again via 5 Minutes For Mom. Seems like I'm always running into you at another blog! :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 4:08 PM  

  • Thank you all for dropping in!

    Kailani - we definitely travel in the same circles;)

    Hope to see you all back tomorrow - maybe with a story to tell?

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 4:24 PM  

  • Great angle and background! My photos are up too!

    Real Women Scrap!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7:12 PM  

  • OHH what great tips!!! :) And what a fun picture...she looks soo grown up!

    By Blogger Fingers To Toes Photography, At 10:55 PM  

  • Kelly, she looks like she is really focusing on the task at hand. What a wonderful experience. I put up some of my favorites too.

    By Blogger Turtles, At 11:06 PM  

  • Great picture indeed :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:45 PM  

  • Thanks for all the great tips and the great picture!!

    By Blogger Trisha, At 7:17 AM  

  • Love it, she looks so intense!
    Gotta love the Chesapeake!

    By Blogger Eagles Wings, At 7:39 AM  

  • I love creative shots. One of the things I love to do is get down to the eye level of the shot, say of a child, or maybe a dog. Laying on the floor has gotten me some great pictures! Nice list..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:19 PM  

  • Some great suggestions! I love photography, and it's fun to see others experimenting with it as well.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home