PASS THE TORCH (old site -- visit new site at 2passthetorch.com)

Monday, August 14, 2006

Geography Lesson


Special thanks to Susie at Bluebird Blogs for the banner!
If you need the code for your post, let me know.


Here is round two of Pass the Torch Tuesday. I hope you'll join us with a story, a comment, or to read everyone else's! Guidelines are here. Last week's excellent meme participants are here.
Congratulations to Mommy Needsa Mai Tai for winning the button last week!

Geography Lesson

I'm planning a girl's trip with my daughter. Last summer we went to the Chesapeake Bay and it was fantastic. But this year, she's chosen Mackinac Island in Northern Michigan.

I knew approximately where the island was located and really didn't think much more about it. I reserved lodging, talked to Deena about what we might do while we're there, visited websites and sent for brochures.

But I didn't get a map.

Deena was studying a Wisconsin map to figure out the best way to get there. She's the navigator while we drive, so she needs to have a basic route figure out. But the map only included part of Michigan's Upper Peninsula. I told her, "It's just past the edge of the page, so we'll just continue on this road a bit and we'll be there."

She really wanted to see the whole route, and I couldn't find the atlas. So she dug out an old hard-cover topographical map from the 1970's and started turning the pages. A couple minutes later, I heard her from the other room.

"So we're going to see Lake Huron?" she asked.

"No, we'll be on Lake Michigan," I responded, hardly paying attention.

But she was convinced, so she showed me the map. "See, Mackinac Island is on Lake Huron."

I've traveled to all fifty states and at least 14 countries. I'm a master player at "Carmen Sandiego." I've probably BEEN to Mackinac Island, though I don't remember it (much to my mother's chagrine.)

And I didn't know that Mackinac Island was on Lake Huron.

So I guess we'll be visiting two Great Lakes, rather than one. And we'll be driving at least an extra two hours to get there. Good thing she's thorough!

We decided on this location a year ago, long before the bombers decided the bridge would be a great target. We'll proceed with caution, and then we'll have another social studies lesson - the one about bombs and terrorists.


How have you caught a kid being good? or smart? or responsible? Join us for Pass the Torch Tuesday! One participant each week will receive the Pass the Torch Award button (see sidebar.) Link to your post or leave a comment! Click here for guidelines.



Thanks to Bloggy Gossip for the shoutout. Have you seen what they're doing over there? And once you've visited all our Pass the Torch Tuesday participants, be sure to check out 5 Minutes for Mom's Tackle it Tuesday!

Technorati Tags:



20 Comments:

  • Oh, I just love, love, LOVE the idea of celebrating kids doing things right! I put up a post on my blog. Hopefully I did everything right to be included in your Pass the Torch Tuesday meme.

    By Blogger Tonya, At 11:14 PM  

  • OK, here's where I show my not-in-the-know side. Is the Mr. Linky permalink the thing in the box? 'Cause I filled out my name and blog address in it before I left a comment.

    I'll try emailing you too.

    By Blogger Tonya, At 11:25 PM  

  • Got it! My site's been acting a little funky lately, so if anyone else has trouble with Mr. Linky, please let me know!

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 11:44 PM  

  • Just as well Mom has Deena or who knows where you'd end up!

    By Blogger BookChook, At 12:08 AM  

  • I love "Pass the Torch Tuesday" I was so honored to win your award last week!

    By Blogger Samantha, At 1:24 AM  

  • I posted a "Pass the Torch Tuesday" post...hope it's not too late, I really enjoy doing this! I think it's great to recognize good kids!

    By Blogger Samantha, At 2:15 AM  

  • We're so glad you joined us again Samantha and Susan! We still have all day Tuesday for people to join in.

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 7:36 AM  

  • I just love this. So much fun.

    I have posted a story about my son helping his sister get dressed yesterday.

    By Blogger Knitting Maniac, At 8:01 AM  

  • I just mailed it to you via my other mailbox. I can't figure out how to copy/paste in yahoo mail. So I know all about computer illiteracy;)

    Thanks for joining us kintting maniac and waya!

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 9:23 AM  

  • Hi, I'm over here from Knitting Maniac's blog.

    And, being from Michigan, I feel I need to put in my two cents about your upcoming trip.

    The bridge is quite safe. There are workers and bridge authority patrols on it all the time.

    From Upper Michigan, ferries leave St. Ignace to the Island. From Lower Michigan ferries leave from Mackinac City to the Island. Likely you'll only need to be on the bridge if your hotel accommodations are on the opposite side of the portion of Michigan you are driving through.

    Bring your camera, the bridge is beautiful.

    If you do cross the bridge, it is a $2.50 toll each way for a car.

    Don't be afraid of the metal grating on the inside lanes. They feel and sound funky to drive on, but have no fear of them.

    Make sure to stop at one of the fudge shops for a treat. I highly recommend the peanut butter fudge. It is to die for.

    On the Upper Peninsula side, there are some fantastic beaches west of St. Ignace on US 2. You can park along the highway and go swim in Lake Michigan on some nice, clean beaches.

    If you like smoked fish, stop at a little place in Brevort, MI (west of St. Ignace on US 2)...at a little place called Gustafson's. It is a red building w/a couple of gas pumps in front of it (on the south side of the highway). Their cajun whitefish sausage is very good, as is the smoked Menominee (caution, those come with the heads on).

    Oh, and bring your $$. The Island is quite expensive. Very interesting, but expensive.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:02 AM  

  • Thank you Sue! We've added all your suggestions to our itinerary. It sounds so wonderful!

    Thanks for the head's up on teh $$ as well. We'll only be on the island for two days, but still...

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 11:09 AM  

  • As I search the internet I realize everyone is attempting to make their blogs more interactive. I've got a Tuesday feature as well!:)

    By Blogger Janet, At 12:55 PM  

  • You're all set, WAYA - another excellent post!

    And everybody - don't worry about that "delete link" thing that may be appearing after your name in Mr. Linky. It must me a new feature or something, but it doesn't mean anything.

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 3:51 PM  

  • Thanks for starting this feature. I'll be back!

    By Blogger Tiredbuthappy, At 5:17 PM  

  • I enjoy stopping by and reading.
    sometimes I'm late...
    well.. truth is ... I'm always late.

    But I still enjoy reading them

    By Blogger Pamela, At 1:49 AM  

  • This is such a great idea. I had wanted to participate but couldn't think of anything to write about. It's not that my kids aren't good, though. I just have to think of something to write.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 6:35 AM  

  • Pamela and Kailani - than you for stopping by to read our stories! Hope to see yours next week!

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 7:51 AM  

  • ACK! I put my link in the wrong Mr. Linky box, so now I'm in wordless Wednesday and Torch Tuesday. Sigh... I cannot read it would appear LOL

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10:02 AM  

  • Did you put up a vote this time? I didn't see it.

    In any event, the map and the two lakes would have gotten my vote this week.

    It was two stories in one.

    By Blogger Pamela, At 9:41 PM  

  • Pamela - thanks for asking about the vote. I didn't do that this time because I combined the Tuesday meme wiht the contest. What do you all think? Should I bring the vote back? The stories are all so good I don't know how to pick myself.

    Thus, everyone won;)

    Let me know your thoughts!

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home